Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Are Leggings Pants?

This may seem a bit like a rant but it’s not! I have just been pondering this for a really long time! 

I have been observing the legging trend for quite some time and I have been working on an opinion about them that is fair and objective. I love wearing them because they are super comfortable. However, I am also really irritated when I see them out in public on some people. I have also gotten great laughs at the expense of my friends on Facebook when they encounter someone wearing leggings in public and looking completely inappropriate because they have complete melt downs which I totally understand! (This has happened lots of times by several different friends!) 


So the million dollar question is, are leggings pants? I say yes – and no… 


There are several conditions that must be met for a girl to wear leggings and not look trashy – and there is a razor thin line! The first condition that you have to consider is your body shape. Yes, you should be confident and proud of the body God gave you whether you choose to take care of it or not (another post, another time…) . However, if you are overweight (or frighteningly underweight), leggings are not for you! Just because they are sold in your size does not mean it’s appropriate for you to buy and wear so just get over it and buy the cheap ones to wear as you lounge around the house. 


This brings me to my next condition to wear leggings in public as pants… 


If you spent less than $50 on a pair of leggings, they are NOT pants, they are underwear or pajamas and nobody wants to see that in public! The safest bets for leggings as pants are leather or faux leather and skinny jeans (it looks like legging jeans have been dropped from the market). There are, however, some lycra/cotton blends that you can make work as well but they cost more than $50 and the material is thick – really thick! No lady should want strangers to be able to see her booty through thin fabric– not a good look! 


Finally, solid black and denim are the only colors where this works. Although, I will admit, I have seen some people out in a good, thick, well-made pair of print leggings or leggings in other colors and it worked but it is a huge risk (as I sit here writing in a pair of camo leggings, but hey! I’m in the privacy of my own home and not going anywhere!) 


So! Will I wear leggings outside of my home as pants? Absolutely! I love the leather and faux leather leggings and I also like to do the legging jeans in the winter. They are a great complement to my Uggs! Below are my two favorites I found while cyber shopping today…







































































No comments:

Post a Comment